"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Friday, June 29, 2007

Girl Trip!!!

Every now & then you just need to get away. This time I really got away. No husband, no kid. For 5 days & 4 nights. Just me, my friend Marlo, and (for the first night at least) my sis-in-law Becky, niece Lizzie & her friend Kim. At the BEACH!!!! We went to Gulf Shores & had a great time. I've never been overly fond of going to the beach in the summer for the obvious reasons. They tend to be too crowded, littered with all kinds of nasty stuff & I have no desire to see lots of people in bikinis that really shouldn't be. But this beach was awesome! Not too crowded, lots of shells, no seaweed so you could actually swim. Nothing to do except read my books & ask Mar to pass me another beer every now and then.
The view from our condo
Every morning we'd wake up & have breakfast on the balcony, watching the boats go by. The pelicans were always up early catching their breakfast & the crane hopped from the docks to the boats, strutting like some of the owners. We only spent one day actually inside the condo because it rained, the majority of the time we were on the balcony if we weren't at the beach. It was a great place to people watch. One evening as we were eating dinner we saw a pair of dolphins playing in the waterway. Why are there no pictures, you ask? Because the camera batteries I had charged fully the night before we left decided at that precise moment to die! So I got to watch the dolphins play & hope that they might repeat the performance sometime before we left. Unfortunately they must have had a previous engagement.
The beach

Max's pirate sailboat

Crafty pelican

Crane/heron (At that distance, how do you tell which it is?)

It was hard being away from Max but it was nice actually getting to read a book that wasn't for school & didn't have more pictures than words. I finally got to read 3 books that have been sitting on my shelf for a long time. Hypocrite in a Poofy White Dress was hysterical, Best American Non Required Reading 2003 (yes, I got it as an advance in 2003) was thought provoking & Virgin Blue would have been much better if I had not been reading an uncorrected proof & the pages had all been there. Ah, the hazards of being a bookseller.

All in all, it was a great vacation & I think we will have to repeat it with the whole family, but there's no place like home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great time and as busy as you've been it's a well deserved break.

Sharon said...

Beautiful pictures, Sara! Looks like you were there around the same time we were at Sandestin. Glad you enjoyed yourself! Sounds fun with the girls!