"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake in Indiana

We were awakened at about 4:30 this morning when our bed started shaking and a very loud sound that I am having trouble finding the right word to describe. It was kind of a booming, cracking sound, but that's not even quite right. Even though the whole house was shaking nothing fell off the walls or bookcases. It was all very surreal. After it stopped, we turned on the news to find out that we had just experienced an 5.2 earthquake. Aftershocks are sitting at about 4.5. I keep hearing them but am not feeling them as much. The epicenter was near Evansville, IN so we didn't have it to badly but I will be spending some time checking the foundation tomorrow. So far everyone we know is OK but we have friends with family in Evansville so send out good thoughts for them.

What was Max doing during all the excitement, you ask?
Sleeping peacefully.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are ok. This beats the old regular alarm clock. Must of been very exciting. And I've heard nothing exciting happens in St Louis.

Myrtle said...

I did't mean to be anonymous but I had to go reset my password.

Jackson said...

Hey there - glad all is well with you guys. Hope the finals are going well - or did go well. We just got the internet on here and am busy checking up on blog sites - will get to mine soon enough. It is flipping cold up here - I never take off my ugg boots! But I am assured it gets warmer - and you will never belive this - but I have a vegetable garden patch, and I am actually working out in it - i turned over soil today and I was so excited to find worms that I think a feel a worm farm comming on!
christal xoxo

sara said...

Christal-
Just finished last paper but still have a speech to go! Only 8 days left!!!!!
Glad you get to work in the garden a bit! It looks like Max & I will start on ours next week! Yippee!
Even gladder that you, Brad & Jackson are finally in the same house!
Lots of love & hugs!
Sara