"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Who-cakes & veggie drama

We took Max to see "Horton Hears a Who" last Saturday and he loved it! Our friends Leslie & Lucas went with us & afterwards we all went to IHOP where Max got special "Who-cakes" for dinner. Picture a graduated stack of yummy pancakes, boysenberry and blueberry glaze flowing down the sides instead of syrup, sprinkles and topped off with a pink lollipop. Max thought it was delicious. Leslie & I were feeling a little adventurous & each tried a bite. If your over the age of 5, stick with regular menu.

I had big plans this year to put in a couple of raised beds for veggies since Max & I love them so much. I had visions of tomatoes & corn, okra & lettuce, zucchini & yellow squash, even some brussel sprouts for Max. (Yes, thanks to Pop-pop, Max loves brussel sprouts.) Unfortunately, my days off have been spent inside cleaning & sorting through about12 years worth of junk that has accumulated. I found a couple boxes that I'm pretty sure I haven't opened since we moved out of the condo. Why have I been cleaning? Because it rains on my days off! While I'm at work I can see the bright sunshine through the big windows at the front of the store. "Beautiful", I think, "I'm off tomorrow. I'll put in the garden beds." Wrong! Here comes the rain. I'm going to have to get creative!

6 comments:

Angie said...

You need sprinkles on pancakes that are already covered with that much sugar?! Sounds like a good time, too.

I'm sorry you are having such terrible weather. Ours has been a bit strange as well, but no flooding at least. I was sitting in the car today, feeding Christopher, thinking how it has just been such nice weather for going on walks and such. Before I finished feeding him, it had gone from sunshine, to pouring down rain, to hail! I'm so ready for summer. A good hot one, too.

Angie said...

Oh, remind me that I wanted a hot summer when I'm complaining in July about not being able to sleep because of the heat. We don't have air conditioning.

Les is More said...

I'm glad the who-cakes were such a success! Thanks for the double date + Max, and thank you for the visit at work today. I'm slowly becoming un-fussy, and some of that is because of you!

sara said...

Angie- We met our sugar quota for the next month with one bite of those pancakes! Talk about a sugar rush!
What are the summers supposed to be like in Germany? Since its farther north will you have cooler temps? :)

Les- Anything to get rid of the McFussersons! Can't wait til the end of the semester! Then we can get crackin' on our creative endeavor!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have some serious plans (and work) ahead! I too hope to one day have a huge vege patch that I can walk to each evening to pick fresh herbs and a few choice organic veges, place them in my apron on my way back to my stunning kitchen - I also hope to be a ballerina.

Rain has been bad here too - although today was beautiful - we made the most of it outside at Silver Dollar City.

love christal

sara said...

Christal- Funny, I always wanted to be a fairy princess! ;)