"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Friday, August 22, 2008

Best Laid Plans

So we were going to wait just a little while longer to tell Max that he's going to be a big brother. We had lots of good reasons. We wanted the wait between telling him & actually bringing the baby home to be just a little shorter cuz its hard enough to wait for Santa, much less a sibling. We wanted to have some ultrasound pics that actually looked like a baby rather than an alien. We are still a little nervous considering everything we went through to have Max.


My plans were steady until my friend Anna R. said to me, "OMG, you look pregnant! I mean you looked pregnant on Wednesday, and its only Thursday, but you really look pregnant today." (Good thing I like her a lot!) Then one of Max's former teachers from the baby room did a triple take & felt comfortable enough to ask The Question. Last straw? When I walked into Max's school today to pick him up, his friend Amira came running up to me. While Max (obliviously) played with some other kids, Amira stood in front of me with her hands on her hips. Then she said (loudly), "Max's Mommy? Do you have a baby in your tummy, cuz I think you have a baby in there cuz your belly is getting FAT!" So much for the plan!

(I don't know why I was so surprised by this. I have popped out.)

After a quick recovery, I conned Max into leaving & we went straight home where we sat down to have a conversation. We talked about how I had been sick, & that I was feeling better & how I couldn't eat some foods & how that was OK because "I can eat all the pizza myself, Mommy." Then I told him the reason for all that was because I had a baby in my tummy & he was going to be a big brother. His reply? "A baby?(puzzled) A baby.(comprehending) I'm so excited!(in his trademark squeal) He has already started making plans for the new baby's arrival. He's even excited (for now) about sharing his room.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Yeah! I wonder what name Max will pick for this baby?

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that Max is happy too! I loved looking pregnant and hope you are enjoying it too. love christal