"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Baby Excitment & International Fun


Max is cracking me up with his big brother excitedness. He wants Cashew to be here so badly that he is doing everything he can think of to get ready. On stay home days, Max will usually crawl into bed with me for a little bit of snuggle time before breakfast. A couple days ago, it was 8am & since he hadn't come into our room, I was wondering if he was still asleep & if not, why it was so quiet. I got out of bed went to his room to check things out. When I cracked the door just a bit I saw him standing in the middle of his room looking thoughtful. He had raised the blinds on one of the windows so he could see. After watching him turn this way and that for a minute or two, I opened the door fully & asked him what he was doing. "I'm figuring where the baby will sleep, Mom." So we sat & thought of different places to put the crib.

Whenever it gets too quiet, I usually find him in the storage room upstairs, looking at baby paraphernalia, or moving some of it into his room, or as in case of the bibs, spreading them all out on the dining room table. He was quite irritated that I wouldn't let him bring the highchair downstairs until I explained to him that the baby wouldn't need that right away. He replied by smacking himself on the forehead, saying "Babies drink from your boobs, Mom!" (Like it was my idea to bring the highchair down in the first place!)
On 8/23, Max & I took our friend Leslie to the Festival of Nations in Tower Grove Park where we celebrated a couple of firsts.

1) Max got to hold a claymore (HUGE sword-taller than me!) when we visited the SSAS booth where Ian's friend Chris was working. If you notice, Max is holding the sword all by himself, Chris is just steadying it to prevent Max from chopping me off at the knees. Max was on cloud 9! Now he wants one.

2) Leslie got to hold the sword too! Watch out Lucas!

3) Max tried falafel for the first time & didn't care for it. He did eat all the veggies & the pita that came with it though. Mmmm, more falafel for me! He did, however, really like the Bosnian version of apple strudel. I don't think Les got to eat very much of hers.

2 comments:

Angie said...

What a great kid! He is going to be an awesome big brother. We weren't even sure if Ashlyn understood that she was going to have a little brother/sister (though she would request a sister.)

Sharon said...

Aawwwh! How sweet he is! He is going to be a great big brother!