"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Monday, February 25, 2008

I'm procrastinating again!

On my paper, that is. Just a few updates, then back to work!

We've had lots of snow and ice lately. This pic is from a couple weeks ago when we got about 9 or 10 inches over 2 days. Needless to say, Max was in heaven! Unfortunately our weather has been so weird that the snow only lasted for about 36 hours after it stopped falling. Then it was up to 70 degrees then it dropped steadily back to freezing. Now we're having a yucky yo-yo effect. Last weekend, nice. Cold but nice. Temp went into the 50s then crashed to the teens. Ice by Thursday. Not snow! ICE! Not good snowman weather! Which leads me to a funny Max story...


I had to be at work by 7am on Thursday so we went about our normal routine but left a little earlier since it had sleeted a bit overnight. Max & I get to daycare & he's excited because his friend Aleecia is already there & they get to play. So off I go to work. I'm there a whole 15 minutes and the phone starts to ring. Employees calling out or just letting me know they'll be late because of the ice. I go to the front & Yikes! It's falling really fast now! About 8am, daycare calls. They're closing & I have to go get Max. The store opens at 9am. No problem, I can get there & back before the store has to open since I'm the only manager. And I did with 20 minutes to spare. (My boss was due in at 9 but she wasn't able to get there til 10:30.) Max hung out while I finished getting ready to open because, wouldn't you know it, there are already people waiting outside the door for their morning coffee fix. Then he and I went & sat at the cash registers (since that was the easiest place for him to color & stay out of mischief. One of my coworkers, Siri, decides to teach Max what to say when people are ready to check out. Max couldn't wait. About 10 minutes went by before he got his chance. and it went like this...

M: (sitting on a stool, not immediately noticeable) Hi! How are you?

C: (surprised) Well, fine. How are you today?

M: Are those your books?

C: Why yes, I'd like to buy them.

M: Do you have any money? Cause you can't steal them!

And the next 2 hours continued along the same lines!

On the following Saturday, Ian was finally home from his emergency trip to Denver & he & Max came to the store to eat dinner with me. Afterwards, since he had eaten every last bite of his dinner, we went to the cafe for a chocolate chip cookie. As the cafe server was pulling the very last cookie out of the case for him, Max turned to the woman in line behind us and said, "You can't have a chocolate chip cookie. I gots the last one." To which she replied, "That's OK, I didn't want a chocolate chip cookie." Max gave her an extremely skeptical look and said, "Yes...you did. (with that smart alecky little pause that teens are known for)

Where do they get this stuff!?!

(Christal- I promise I won't let Max teach Jackson too many bad habits!)

And now back to my paper!



3 comments:

Les is More said...

I LOVE IT!!!

Angie said...

Too cute!

Anonymous said...

Hope your paper is going well so you can relax during your spring break and please don't bring the ice to Arkansas with you!

Aunt Vicki