"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind." ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I'M HUNGRY!!!!

During pregnancy, you're supposed to eat. Not literally for two, but enough to keep that precious cargo healthy & growing. So why does this baby seem so intent on not letting me eat anything I like!?! It started off with chicken & turkey & I was OK with that. I eat a lot of veggie based meals anyway, supplement that with an occasional steak, no problem. I can still get prenty of protein. Then came dairy. I can't eat cheese! I love cheese! I've been drinking soy milk & putting it on my cereal but I would love a hunk of chedder right now! Lactaid only works for very small amounts of dairy (think half a Hershey bar) & most brands of soy cheese are not tasty! Even my die hard vegatarian friends refuse to take the almost full package off my hands. So, while I love dairy, I can deal with not eating it for a few months. Its for a good cause! There's still pasta with lots of veggies & red sauce, right? Ha! Cashew has other ideas! No tomatos. No lemonade. No more acidic foods for me! Do you know how many recipes call for at least one of the above ingredients? Which brings me to the real reason for this post. I need recipes! I have exhausted my standby cookbooks & would rather not deal with any of the overly fancy ones. So if anyone has some good ones, feel free to send them to me. Cuz I'm hungry & tired of eating pasta, baked potatos & bean burritos.

PS- For some reason, Cashew like spicy, so if you have any that you think I might be able to handle, send them on! I love spicy!

3 comments:

Angie said...

No chicken, dairy or tomatoes?! I hardly know what to suggest for you. I'm looking through my favorite cookbooks now, though. I'll email you, so as not to fill up your comment space.

Anonymous said...

I might have some ideas too - will e-mail same when i get a chance. Can you eat yogurt? I am lactose intolerant but can eat yogurt - and feel much better for it. What about nuts? if you like nuts they are great to snack on - especially almonds - i even sprinkle them on cereal, but most mornings i have rye toast with honey - nothing beats this combination. The honey gives you energy, and the rye some carbs without too much gluten.
Christal xoxoxo

sara said...

Thanks Guys!
Angie- I'm making my shopping list & we're going to try at least 2 out of 3 recipes this week.
Christal- Nope, no yogurt. Although I was really bad & took 3 lactaids so I could eat some delicious chocolate ice cream that I'll pay for in about 30 minutes or so. (Ian was mean & bought our fave kind! Ornery hubby!) I'm eating tons of nuts; peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans, plain, seasoned & in bread. I've had whole wheat w/ honey (yum!) but never rye. Something new to try!
Bunches of hugs!